Thursday 29 April 2010

Maulin

It doesn’t seem that long ago since the prospect of climbing a mountain filled me with fear and trepidation. ‘No, pleeeease don’t make me go! You can’t make me! I won’t!’ Of course they could, and they did. So my siblings and I climbed mountains, mostly under extreme protest. And then … I couldn’t tell you exactly when … something strange happened. I started to, well, like climbing mountains. To climb mountains of my own free will, even.

On Saturday, my lovely sister-in-law and I walked up Maulin. This really was returning to the scene of the crime because Maulin was a popular destination for our forced marches hikes of old.

You start off at Crone car park, just outside Enniskerry.


Then walk up a path through the forest, where bears used to live. At least that’s what my parents told me so obviously it’s true.

The path curls round the mountain and there’s a beautiful view down to the Powerscourt waterfall. You can see it was a bit hazy on Saturday, though it was actually quite warm.


Here’s looking over to Djouce – really a very nice mountain, didn’t deserve to have my sister and me weeping all over it.


The top was very windy, so we didn’t stay long …


... but went down the other side to find somewhere for our picnic. We passed a scout troop on the way – why is there always one awkward kid on his own? Awkward kid, Gillian and I are sure you’ll grow up to be the coolest one of all.

Our picnic (and it was a good one: samosas and biryanis from the Co-operative Food Market, apples and brownies) took place on a piece of mossy grass, sheltered by some evergreens.



And then, almost before we’d really got into our stride, we were back at the car. 2 ½ hours, including picnic. Why did it used to make me cry so much?

3 comments:

  1. Is it possible the Wicklow Hills are so beautiful in part because they are watered regularly and copiously with the tears of those of us forced by evil parents to walk them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might be on to something there. And luckily there's always a new generation of weeping children to ensure they stay green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about the day when we boosted LTLS from school and walked up Maulin fueled by the double chocolate brownies that LTLS made (each brownie consumed required going up and down mountain at least once to reach calorie-neutrality).

    LTBS xx

    ReplyDelete