Saturday 23 October 2010

Interlude With Laughing Kookaburra

This is a little backtrack, because there was something I forgot to say about the night we spent at Mount Clear.

It rained all night and it was cold in the early morning. I burrowed as deep as I could into my sleeping bag and hoped that the weather was going to improve. And then I heard the kookaburra.

How did I know it was a kookaburra? Because of the song:

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Merry, merry king of the bush is he.
Laugh kookaburra, laugh kookaburra,
Gay your life must be.

They really do sound like they're laughing. Don't believe me? Listen here.

Later in the day, a fellow hiker told me that when you hear the kookaburra calling it usually means the weather is changing. And since we'd traded rain for sun, I guess the kookaburra knows a thing or two.


(Image via Wikimedia commons)

1 comment:

  1. Since there have been no comments on your hike adventures, I presume everybody is left as wordless as I am by the horror of those feet. Poor Neh-neh! Would you like two new ones for Christmas? On the otherhand since there's no reply from your phone, maybe you've recovered and are out dancing this week.

    ReplyDelete