Sunday 19 September 2010

Happy Birthday to ...


... Hints to Lady Travellers!


A year ago today, I started this blog. Then I was in Aix-en-Provence, now I’m in Melbourne. Between France and Australia I travelled to Ireland, England, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ireland again, France again, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Wales, France again, China, Japan and Singapore. And maybe Liechtenstein.


It has been a wonderful year and a big part of it has been the fun of writing this blog and sharing my stories with you.


When I started Hints to Lady Travellers I imagined I would struggle to keep it going for year – if I managed that. But HTLT is not ready to be put away in mothballs so the blogging will continue into the second year. Adventures on the horizon include trips to New Zealand, the US and Canada.


In the meantime, I would like to invite YOU to celebrate this happy birthday by posting in the comments. Yes, you. I would love to hear your favourite hint – not just to lady travellers, but any travellers.


I’m going to eat my cupcake now and toast Lilias Campbell Davidson, who concluded her Hints to Lady Travellers at Home and Abroad with these words:


If, by my endeavours, I have in any way assisted my sisters in their wanderings, or encourage a single woman to join the path of travellers by land or sea, I shall feel that I have achieved the object of my labours, and that my task has, indeed, not been in vain.


Amen, sister!

5 comments:

  1. Being able to travel vicariously has definitely brightened up the last year, especially on weekends like this when it has rained, not dramatically but miserably steadily and looks like it could continue indefinitely. Congratulations LT may your keyboard never freeze! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on keeping your blog going for 12 months. As a reward for outlasting 99.38% of all blogs we would like you to visit our offices where we will give you a tour of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hint is: it's probably a bad idea to set fires on top of your keyboard if you want the blog (or indeed your computer or eyebrows) to last another year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tip is to rob a bank and buy a house overlooking the beach in Carmel-by-the-sea, California or by the prom in Pacific Grove and spend your time listening to the seals and acting like them - lying around in the sun eating and drinking

    ReplyDelete