Friday 3 September 2010

BrisVegas



I loved being in Brisbane, all the more so because I hadn’t expected to have so much fun while I was there.

I was in town to do some work on the Audio Design Museum (www.audiodesignmuseum.com check it out if you are or going to be in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane) and I spent three very fun days running around the city talking to artists, designers, architects, curators about their work and about Brisbane.

I stayed in an artist’s studio (studio residence as opposed to painting studio) in Fortitude Valley (is that not the BEST name for a neighbourhood you ever heard?) – please admire my view:

The Valley is very hip and happening and full of stylish places to eat and drink. On my first evening, I had an excellent martini at The Bowery on Ann St, followed by a great 'healthy' burger at Grill'd.

I felt very at home thanks to the bilingual signage (you may need to click on the image to see the street sign clearly):

I loved waking up to blue skies and sunshine and I had some great breakfasts while I was there, most notably in Cirque on Brunswick St: sourdough toast spread with tomato relish and with a poached egg perched on top, pea puree on the side plus a slice of yummy chorizo. Great coffee. Mmmmmm.

Not that much time for photos, but I did take my camera with me on Wednesday morning when I had an appointment on the Southbank where several of the city’s cultural organisations are housed.

The State Library of Queensland,

The Gallery of Modern Art and the new(ish) Kurilpa Bridge,

And the lovely Brisbane River.

For most people who read this blog, Brisbane is a bit far for a mini-break, but I would definitely recommend it for a visit if you're in Australia. The combination of fun, sunshine, good food and friendly people really gave my spirits a lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment