Wednesday 4 August 2010

Picture Dictionary: Manchester


I had the tv on as background noise last week. There were lots of ads for the Winter Sales, including one that threw me: 50% off everything in our Manchester Department!

???

I must have misheard.

But no, another ad, another offer on All Manchester.

I imagined this Manchester, for sale:

But it turns out that Manchester, in Australia, has its own particular meaning.

manchester [mæntʃɪstə]

noun

1. household linen or cotton goods, such as sheets and towels

2. Also called: manchester department a section of a store where such goods are sold

Manchester departments sell doonas. A doona is what Aussies call a quilt or a duvet. So, now, if you ever hear someone say, ‘I’m off to the manchester department to buy a doona!’ (probably intending to throw a shrimp on the barbie immediately afterwards) you’ll know what they mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment