Wednesday 3 February 2010

What It Says on the Fridge

The combined age of my siblings and me is 120. But age cannot wither our delight in abusing one another, nor maturity stale the family compulsion to get in the last word.

On Friday, a new noteboard appeared on the fridge door.

On Friday at 9pm the board read: everyone be nice to Luiseach – and to a lesser extent, Eithne.

On Saturday at 10 am the board read: be nice to everyone except Luiseach.

On Saturday at 10.15 had been added: bien entendu!

On Saturday at 10.30 it had been amended to: smack Cormac.

On Sunday at 7pm had been added: give a Kimmage kiss to Anto.

Behold:

To misquote Tolstoy, every disfunctional family is disfunctional in its own way.

3 comments:

  1. Actually it initially said 'Be nice to Róisín'. I assumed this was a spelling mistake in which L's and U's were missing so I changed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact the 'bien entendu' came before Roisin had been amended to Luíseach and anything else added. I wouldn't like to seem to misuse the phrase. I also need to say how nice it is to come home to the smell of freshly baked flapjacks. Every family needs a lady traveller who has hung up her good thick skirt for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm responsible for giving the dysfunction a marketplace!

    ReplyDelete