Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Lost Art of Postcard Sending


Back in December, during my Advent blogging, I posted these handy hints for postcard writing.  More recently, my sister and I agreed that is was a shame that we didn't write (and post, that's the crucial part) more postcards.  They are always lovely to receive - especially if unexpected.  Wouldn't it be great, I said, if there was a facility for printing postcards straight from your phone...  Well, ask and ye shall receive.

I'm certainly not the first person to blog about Postagram, but since it's relatively new I thought I'd mention it here.  First step is to download their app (you can also create postcards via their website if you don't have a smartphone).  You'll need to create an account and provide credit card details, but this is a once off.


Using the app, it is super easy (takes less than a minute) to select a photo from either your phone album, your Instagram account or Facebook account to turn into a postcard.  You add a message and then input the recipient's address (you can cross-reference your phone contacts).  Then send!

What I love about it is the fact that I can choose the image I want to send, instead of having to choose from the usual cliched range of postcards available.  The other appealing part is that there's no having to remember to get stamps and post the postcard (I'm terrible at this and always return from trips with a selection of written - but unmailed - postcards at the bottom of my bag.)  The service will be less appealing to stamp collectors, since all the postcards are mailed by Postagram from the US - but for me the convenience makes up for this.

I have just sent someone a postcard with this picture - who will be the lucky recipient?  You'll just have to wait and see (and check your mailboxes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment