Friday 18 December 2009

Meat Market



I uploaded 361 photographs from my trip to Robben Island last night, so it’s going to take me a little while to sort through them and write about the day but I’ll try to post about it before I go to Zimbabwe next week.

In the meantime, here are photos from last Sunday when I went with a group to Mzoli’s in Guguletu, one of the townships in Cape Town. Mzoli’s started off as a butcher’s shop – and now it’s what you might loosely call a restaurant, and a Capetonian hotspot – especially on Sunday afternoons.

Mzoli’s operates a bring your own policy so we went to the nearby shebeen to buy beer. Shebeens (the name suggests some Irish person visited a township way back when) are informal off licences. Very informal. This one was in a one room shack where a lady had a fridge full of beer.

This is not a place for vegetarians. It’s all about the meat. For 25R a head, you get a huge basin full of different kinds of meat.

If you really want, you can get some pap (sort of cornmeal porridge, like a bland polenta) on the side. But that’s it: no vegetables, no salads. You eat with your hands.

And it tastes REALLY good. Hot, dripping meat and cold beer in the sunshine. Mmm mmm.

2 comments:

  1. Pap!i ate that for breakfast everyday.sometimes I dream about it and wake up screaming. The only way to make it edible is to add nutella or peaches. Also,did they dust your beer for you before they gave it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had pap twice: at least once too many times. They didn't dust my beer, but it was in a plastic six pack so I think it was ok.

    ReplyDelete